Friday, March 13, 2009

Homemade Limoncello


My grandmother has probably taken about 6 sips of alcohol in her almost 78 years. That's why I was so flabbergasted when she called me up all excited about this new endeavor she had taken: homemade limoncello. The process took her about 3 weeks, and every time I called, I got a status update. When I finally got the verdict, she simply said to me "I created a bottle of gold." That's when I asked for the recipe and stocked up on some lemons.

I'm about halfway through the process. First, I bought some really cheap vodka and ran it through my Brita filter about 5 times. That process in itself is amazing. Then I added the zest of 8 lemons and let it sit for 2 weeks. That's where I'm at now. After 2 weeks, you take the (now) lemon vodka, and add a cooled simple syrup to it (1.5 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water) and bottle it back up for 2-3 weeks.

Here is the vodka after 2 weeks of steeping with the lemons (the lemon vodka itself tastes delicious by the way):



Cooking the simple syrup:


I'll update this in 2-3 weeks when I'll apparently have created 750ml of gold. I'll let you know.

Next on the list - making vanilla vodka.

No comments:

Post a Comment