Thursday, March 26, 2009

Birthday at BLT Steak


I mentioned that I convinced my husband to take me to BLT Steak for my birthday. I'd been super excited about it since it opened, and was not deterred in the least bit by the string of bad reviews during opening week. And boy, am I so glad we went!

We had a birthday feast is the best way I can describe it. We started off with a half dozen oysters while I sipped on some procecco and Zach enjoyed a martini. The chicken liver pate was out of this world (anyone have the recipe? I'd kill a small child for it right about now). We then noshed on a field green salad (which was a little too mustardy for me, but I'm not mustard's number one fan) and some tuna tartar with crispy shallots and a soy lime dressing. Amazing!

After we finished our salads and those popover STILL weren't out, we began asking for them. Like a lot. I felt like I was an addict who didn't have her pills. And boy, did they live up to the hype. I quickly swiped the recipe card and will be making them very soon. I will also attempt a whole wheat version of them just to try and be slightly healthy. But I have found a new addiction in the form of BLT Steak's gruyere popovers. I'm getting the shakes just thinking about them!

We split the porterhouse for two, and ended up with a doggie bag that our dogs will never come near. We are not ones for sauces for our steaks, but the red wine sauce was delicious. I haven't had a baked potato in about 3 years, so I ordered one that came out about the size of my head with sour cream, chives, bacon, and chedder cheese. On my recommendation, Zach ordered and quickly devoured the BBQ corn. I think I was able to sneak a bite, but he did growl at me haha. We ended up with a faboulous bottle of wine from a very attentive sommelier that we sipped as we watched people flow in and out of the W.

I've become slightly obsessed with rhubarb lately (as in I'm determined to consume it more and cook with it for the first time ever) so a marscapone cheese cake with a strawberry rhubarb soup topped with strawberries instantly caught my eye. It did not dissapoint. After 3 hours we waddled our way out of the restaurant with our doggie bag, full tummies, and a giant 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY MELISSA' from the staff as we walked out.

Zach refused to let me take pictures of the amazing food, but I couldn't have asked for a better meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment